Garlic and Herb Roast Shoulder of Lamb
1 x 1.8kg/4lb lean shoulder of lamb
For the Herb Butter:
50g/2oz unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Vegetables:*
5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
Preparation Time: 10min
Cooking Time: 3hr 30min
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
2. Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
3. Put the vegetables in the base of a 2.8L/5pint casserole or roasting tin.
4. Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife.
5. Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover and
transfer to the oven for 3-3½ hours.
6. Serve the lamb with the vegetables, mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.