Lamb with Red Wine & Chorizo
Preparation Time: 20min
Cooking Time: 1hr 15min
450-675g/1-1½lb lean lamb shoulder, leg or neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
30ml/2tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper
30ml/2tbsp olive oil
100g/4oz chorizo or spicy paprika sausage, skinned and cut into large chunks
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
300ml/½pint good, hot lamb stock
150ml/¼pint good red wine
1 x 410g can black-eye peas or butter beans, drained
Small bunch freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Toss the lamb in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a moderate heat. Cook the lamb and chorizo in batches for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the onions and garlic until soft. Spoon into the casserole dish with the stock and wine. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the beans.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve with seasonal vegetables and rice or potatoes.