Roast Lamb with Lemon Thyme
Preparation Time: 10min
Cooking Time: See Method
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, make several slits over the joint, season well and rub with the olive oil.
- Mix together the lemon zest and thyme and stuff into the slits of the joint. Place on a rack in a non-stick roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any lamb juices.
- During the last 40 minutes of cooking add the leeks and parsnips to the base of the tin with a little stock and position the joint on top.
- Remove the lamb and vegetables from the tin, wrap loosely with foil and keep warm.
- To make the gravy: spoon off any excess fat from the tin and discard. Place the tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any sediment.
- Add the remaining stock, adjust the seasoning, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently for 8-10 minutes or until thickened to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving, if required.
- Serve with roast or mashed potatoes.
Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
Well: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes